Fashion trend hunting – 10 top tips
How to keep up to date with fashion trends and discover new brands?
« Seasons come one after another and seem to look alike »… Is that so? Not really… not at all, actually! To be on the lookout for the latest trends, to find the next red hot “IT” item, to remain ahead of the game with respect to your competitors… that may feel to be a mad and endless race. Let´s be honest here, it is an endless race: fashion constantly renews itself, and that´s also what makes our job so fascinating. But that doesn´t mean we should feel overtaken or exhausted: yes, it is possible to keep up to date with the very latest “must” in a pleasant and fun way, without it being an assault course. Are you lacking inspiration? Here are 10 suggestions be at the top your game:
- Visit fashion shows: among all the advantages of visiting a fashion, the most important one is this: to get your fill of the latest novelties and ideas for the upcoming season! Right there, before your eyes: designs, brands, materials, innovations that (will) set the trends of tomorrow. Well, if visiting shows is not really your cup of tea or if you simply can´t make it this year, here are other ideas:
- Internet and social media: indeed, Internet is literally packed with fashion blogs, catalogues, sites and social media (Facebook, Instagram et Pinterest) accounts dedicated exclusively to the world of fashion. It´s a fun way to discover new trends on a day-to-day basis…. and if you are craving for more, obviously you can look up “fashion trends” followed by the season and year you´re interested in on Google and you will find plenty of posts, slideshows and pictures of the current hits.
- The press: whether there are online or print, magazines remain one of the most reliable and stirring source of inspiration as far as trends are concerned. Look sharp and scan, page after page, all the details that are (or will be) red hot! A few suggestions, in a jumble: Elle, Vogue, Marie Claire, l´Officiel de la mode, Harper´s Bazaar… It might not be your thing but be aware that tabloids and celebrity magazines hold a lot good ideas too… Famous people also – no to say more than anyone – set trends. Going to the hairdresser´s or staying in a waiting room are perfectly acceptable excuses to browse through them, aren´t they? 🙂
- Listen to what customers ask for: that should be rule number 1: who better than your own customers can inform you on their needs, on trendy must-have items of the moment, and on the public´s expectations in order to take the temperature of the current market?
- Wholesale districts: each and every fashion capital has its own wholesale district. Whenever you travel, don´t hesitate to explore these neighborhoods: trends repeat themselves and in just a blink of an eye you will discover, in the different shopping windows, the items, colors, or designs that best sell… Take the time to enter a wholesale shop or two and ask the staff about the items you shouldn´t be missing. Indeed, sometimes the rotation is so quick that the best-selling products are not always visible in the shop windows. It is in the sales assistants´interest to guide you well in order for you to come back later on.
- Wholesale websites: there are plenty of them, and even if you are not planning on buying anything, don´t hesitate to browse them in order to discover the items that stand out. These websites often have a “top sales” section: a perfect opportunity to check out what “works” best!
- Take off… to other cities, countries: take advantage of a trip, a visit of a fashion show or just get out of your neighborhood to discover new brands, new trends… take the time to wander the streets of designers districts, to bargain-hunt, to enter an interior design shop… Indeed, trends are not limited to fashion only. You will find new inspiration, new tones, new styles, new brand names… take some notes and then look them up on Internet: easy!
- Word-of-mouth: It is quite a small world… and the world of fashion is even tinier. Ask around you, your friends and related ones what they like… don´t hesitate to congratulate a passer-by on his/her look and to ask where (s)he got his/her bag, scarf, etc… we all love compliments and, you never know, it might lead you to a happy encounter!
- Multi-brands sales representatives are very well placed fashion professionals to inform you on trends. Thanks to their profession and their privileged contacts with customers one hand and suppliers on the other, they have a good global view on the market and know firsthand what sells well: don´t hesitate to enquire them directly.
So here are quite a few ideas… How about you? How do you manage to keep up with fashion trends? Any other suggestion you´d like to share?
Comments are closed